A great treat for lunchboxes and early morning exercise routines!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ¾ cup dried pineapple, medium chopped
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, crushed
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Spread the oats and coconut out on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, stir, then bake an additional 5 minutes (watch the mixture as it toasts and stir an additional time if necessary to prevent burning).
- Remove the toasted oats and coconut and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the dried pineapple and macadamia nuts to the bowl. Set the mixture aside.
- Line a glass baking dish with wax paper, then coat the wax paper with a thin layer of cooking spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, honey / maple syrup, butter, pure vanilla extract and salt. Heat until ingredients are melted together.
- Pour the hot liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Press the mixture firmly into the baking dish.
- Let the granola mixture dry and harden for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the dried granola whole from the baking dish. Cut it in half length-wise, then cut each rectangular half into six bars.